One world. One kite
The 2017 CrazyFly Sculp is a versatile all-around performer, suitable for a wide range of riders and styles. It delivers consistency in all riding disciplines and offers incredible wind range and ease of use.
For 2017, we have completely re-worked the Sculp, as it is now made in our own factory in Europe, which opened up unlimited options for improvements and innovation. Shape wise, the Sculp now has a higher aspect ratio, which makes the kite slimmer and much faster. This also results in a more Delta shape which offers smooth, stable, and predictable flight with progressive power delivery.
By challenging traditional kite construction, we came up with numerous innovations and improvements on the 2017 Sculp. Starting with the canopy material, we use the latest Double Ripstop. The new Double Ripstop is lighter, has the same tearing strength in all directions, and allows 30% less air through itself. This means that the same surface area of the new Double Ripstop catches a lot more air, which results in more power and much longer hangtime.
On the wingtips of the canopy, we introduced a brand new United Dacron Panel technology. This revolutionary feature increases the kite?s rigidity and reactivity allowing for better flight experience. Every seam on the kite eventually gets stretched over time, especially in the area which is being pulled by the backlines the most. So, instead of using multiple Dacron panels, we used a single United Dacron Panel in this area. The reactions of the kite are noticeably quicker and the quick reactions do not fade over time.
The connection of the canopy to the inflated base of the kite is more precise and stronger than ever. We moved the strut connection points on the leading edge much closer to the canopy. This is tedious work, but the canopy now precisely follows the profile of the strut and ensures much more efficient airflow.
Another upgrade this year is the Synergy Strut Bond. Instead of a traditional single attachment seam, we connected the strut to the canopy with two parallel seams, creating the ultimate synergy between the strut and the kite. This synergy noticeably improved how the kite generates power during turns and kiteloops and how it holds its shape during flight.
On the inflated frame, we narrowed down the number of leading edge panels by nearly 50% on all our kites. Because the material itself is always stronger than a seam, having less panels and less seams results in the most precise and the strongest leading edge till date. Towards the wingtips, a brand new Swept Leading Edge Seam is moved higher towards the canopy where it has less influence on airflow. This allows for higher aerodynamic efficiency and more precisely controlled kite.
The Sculp received a brand new Linked Bridle, which does not have pulleys nor sliders and consists of only interconnected bridle lines. The bridle lines are connected to the leading edge and to each other only via loop ends ensuring the bridle always stays connected. The Linked Bridle creates a direct link between the rider and the kite, resulting in faster kite reactions and more precise handling. The Linked Bridle is also much more durable than conventional bridles, as it reduces bridle line movement and abrasion to minimum.
Overall, by completely reworking the construction of the 2017 Sculp, the kite is much more rigid and more durable than ever before. With the brand new construction and exploiting different ways of printing, we managed to save 10% of weight again. This is 0,5kg weight saving on a 12m kite which noticeably extends the wind range of the kite.
The 2017 Sculp raves with improvements and innovation and truly is the best Sculp we have ever made.
The 2017 Sculp - One world, one kite.
- Swept Leading Edge Seam - By challenging the traditional kite construction for improvements, we came up with the swept leading edge seam. The leading edge seam on the wingtips of the kite is swept higher towards the canopy where it has less influence on airflow. This allows for higher aerodynamic efficiency and more precisely controlled kite.
- Dacron Shields - Brand new this year, we introduced large Dacron shields to reinforce stress joint areas on the kite and also to protect these areas from wear. Unlike 3D shaped plastic protectors which are not aerodynamic, the Dacron Shields are snug and allow for efficient airflow. Dacron is highly resistant to abrasion and increases the kite?s durability.
- United Dacron Panel - This revolutionary feature increases the kite?s rigidity and reactivity allowing for better flight experience. Every seam on the kite gets stretched over time, especially in the stressed area pulled by the backlines. So, instead of using multiple Dacron panels, we used a single United Dacron Panel. The reactions of the kite are noticeably quicker and they do not fade over time.
- Synergy Strut Bond - Another upgrade this year is the Synergy Strut Bond, in other words, how the struts connects to the canopy of the kite. Instead of a single attachment seam, we connected the strut to the canopy with two parallel seams, creating the ultimate synergy between the strut and the kite. This synergy noticeably improved how the kite generates power during turns and kiteloops and how it holds its shape during flight.
- Sinusoid Trailing Edge - This year, we have completely re-designed the trailing edge. Instead of using a straight stripe of extra ripstop, we created a much stronger Sinusoid Trailing Edge made from Marcloth. The sinusoid shape evenly spreads tension and reduces flap. This results in a much stronger and more solid trailing edge.
- Arptex - Arptex sits at the top of abrasion resistant polyamide textiles. This high tech fabric made in Italy can handle plenty of abuse without getting damaged. The official number is 100 000 contacts with abrasive surface before the material starts deteriorating. This is why we selected Arptex as the most suitable material to protect CrazyFly kites in the most abused areas.
- Linked Bridle - Brand new for 2017 kites, the Linked Bridle does not have any pulleys nor sliders. It creates a direct link between the rider and the kite, resulting in faster kite reactions and more controlled handling. The Linked Bridle is also much more durable than conventional bridles, as it reduces bridle line movement and abrasion to minimum.
- Two in One Leading Edge - We narrowed down the number of panels by nearly 50% on all our kites. Because the material itself is always stronger than a seam, having less panels and less seams results in a much stronger leading edge. Less seams also increase precision of the leading edge shape, as seams can cause a small misalignment. The two in one leading edge is the most precise and the strongest leading edge till date.
- Strut End Protection - The strut ends are one of the most abused areas, mainly when carrying the kite inflated on the beach, or during self launches. The strut ends are strategically reinforced with Arptex material, which sits at the top of abrasion resistant polyamide textiles.
- Strut Junction - We have completely changed how the strut is connected to the leading edge. The connection is now stronger, cleaner and straighter without unwanted material folds, which cause quicker wear. The whole junction is reinforced with Arptex material for ultimate strength and durability.
- Soft Leading Edge End - Towards the end, the leading edge diameter has been optimized and decreases to prevent the bladder slipping out of the kite under pressure. The inside of the leading edge end is lined with a softer version of Arptex to create a cushion for the bladder and prevent any damage to the bladder during a kite crash. On the outside the Leading Edge Ends are protected with Arptex, the latest abrasion resistant polyamide textile from Italy.
- Wingtip Elbow - The Wingtip Elbow construction is stronger than ever with brand new Dacron reinforcements on the inside and Marcloth lining on the outside. Plus, the Swept Leading Edge Seam is placed in the direction in which the elbow was bending the most. These factors minimize the elbow movement, so the kite is more compact, has higher aerodynamic efficiency and better handling.
- Light Weight Zipper - Unlike on other kites, we selected a slimmer Lightweight Zipper covered with webbing to prevent sand from getting stuck into the zipper. This results in flawless function of the zipper, saves weight on the kite and overall looks much cleaner than a big heavy uncovered plastic zipper.
- Built-in Pump Leash - The Pump Leash is one piece with the central strut reinforcement. Instead of sewing the pump leash on the kite separately, which creates a point of weakness on the leading edge, we opted for creating the pump leash from the central strut reinforcement.
- Double Ripstop - The most technologically advanced ripstop material for a kite canopy. This high density polyester yarn provides for ultra light weight, high tearing strength and long lasting durability. This year, the Double Ripstop has a brand new coating which increases strength by 30% and minimizes stretching of the material. The new Double Ripstop is lighter, has the same tearing strength in all directions, and allows 30% less air through itself.
- Turbo Inflate Deflate - All CrazyFly kites are equipped with Turbo inflate/deflate valve. Inflation and deflation of the kite are made through the same valve. The kite is fully inflated and deflated in seconds. This year, the Turbo valve has a new cover made from Arptex, which does not intake water and does not add weight to the kite.
- One Pump System - The One Pump System allow for quicker and easier inflation and deflation of the kite and ensure even pressure distribution throughout the kite. The valves are made from the highest quality material available and are manufactured in Europe. Brand new this year, the one pump hose clips are covered with Arptex, which unlike Neoprene does not intake water which reduces weight.
- Custom Colors - All 2017 CrazyFly kite colors are custom developed shades supplied exclusively to CrazyFly only.
- CNC Cutting & Sewing - CNC controlled laser cutting ensures maximum precision of all kite panels and results in accurate kite shapes. CNC controlled laser cutting also reduces waste of offcut material. CNC sewing is used for critical and difficult seams on all CrazyFly kites. This technology eliminates human error and enables perfection to be repeated on every seam.
- Marcloth Fusion Lining - Our engineers use Marcloth to strengthen all areas where the heavy duty kite frame materials meet the lightweight canopy. Marcloth is a mid-weight high strength fabric, ideal to create the ultimate fusion between the higher weight and lighter weight fabrics. All transitions between the frame and canopy are in round shapes, rather than sharp angles and straight lines, as the round shapes spread tension more evenly. Of course, this increases the durability of the kite.
- Snow & Sand Protectors - The Snow & Sand Protectors on the leading edge protect the kite from damage caused by dragging the kite on snow or land when launching or relaunching the kite.
- Back Lines Tuning - There are three back line settings on the wingtip of the kite. These allow the rider to tune the kite to his or her preferences. The fast back line set up provides the quickest turning of the kite and the lightest bar pressure. On the medium setting the kite still turns relatively quickly and there is more load on the bar. On the slow setting the kite turns noticeably slower and the bar pressure is high.
TKB REVIEW: 2017 CRAZYFLY SCULP
FEBRUARY 13, 2017
Sizes Available: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14m
Sizes Tested: 8, 10, 12m
Our Testers Say:
?Straightforward, easy to control with a super simple design. This kite is stable and predictable, making progression a breeze.? // Jabe Harpole.
?A simple, no fuss and colorful design that was super stable when tested on a light wind day.? // Rhonda Reyna.
?Both stable and responsive, this solid, jack of all trades kite was grunty, went upwind well and relaunched with ease.? // Brent Borodic.
The Sculp is a medium aspect 3-strut freeride kite with swept back wingtips that inflates with a Boston valve that requires the larger inflation nozzle and three steering settings on the wingtip. This year, as part of the redesign, the bridles are fixed with no pulleys. Testers found the Sculp to be very stable with medium bar pressure and average turning speed and decent range and good upwind ability. The Sculp delivers a fair amount of depower in a relatively small amount of throw which keeps the controls fairly closer to your body and the larger sizes pull fairly hard with a very useful amount of grunt to get you through the lulls and staying upwind. While the Sculp has middle of the road steering response, it does offer quite easy relaunch and predictable handling. If you?re looking for something with a little more performance edge you should consider taking the Tango for a spin. Overall, testers reported easy relaunching and recommended this kite for beginner and intermediate riders looking for a user-friendly kite for learning and freeride progression.
The 2016 Sick Bar is a full carbon fixed length (40, 45, 50, 55cm) bar with different line lengths based on bar length and a PU sheeting/throw line, no sliding stopper, metal insert, molded donkey dick, single center-line safety, low V, above bar depower Clam cleat with a strategically positioned Velcro tuning handle to keep the depower control toggle from tangling and a push away quick release with integrated swivel that doubles as a quick release guard. The center lines end in a knot and the outside lines end in pigtails. The length of sheeting/throw cannot be adjusted for varying arm lengths of kiters or the type of riding. The molded floats are stiffer than last year?s model yet still kind of flexible. This is a huge improvement with regard to keeping the lines tightly wound and organized on the bar when not in use. The bar ends are soft and incorporate easy to use non-retractable bungees and the outside leader lines do not adjust for tuning/stretch. Overall, riders liked the simple narrow diameter, firm yet smooth rubber grip of the Sick bar and recommend it as a simple yet functional control system.