Used kite is in good shape, no repairs. Kite only comes with kite and bag; no bar, ground stake or repair pack.
The Ozone R1 is the peak of race and foil kite performance. The R1 will have you riding faster and pointing further upwind than any kite out there. New air intakes on the leading edge allow for quicker inflation and a solid, closed-cell foil. The R1 is a big step forward from the 2014 Chrono design with improved air intakes, smoother profile, and reduced bridling for less drag.
Packed with state of the art technology, the new generation of ultra high performance kite is here: the R1. The R1 was born through radical design ideas during the development of the Chrono.
Developed without compromise using proven Chrono technology, the R1 produces breath-taking speed and performance. The ultra clean leading edge, smooth surfaces and number of cells give an insight into its capabilities. But it's what you can't see that makes this race focused kite so special, the feeling on the bar and the responsiveness of this high aspect wing is unique.
Our newly calculated sail tension brings a level of stability that surpasses every high performance kite we have ever produced by far. Combined with new diagonal ribs, a high aspect ratio planform, reduced cell width and a new high performance profile the boundaries of performance have been re-defined again. The R1 is truly a race pedigree performance kite that will inspire confidence to the rider while delivering outstanding racing performance on the water, land or snow.
The R1 is for advanced riders only who have previous foil kite experience. It is not difficult to fly but there are techniques required to fly a high aspect ratio foil kite.
The R1 will require maintenance just like any high performance equipment in racing sports, for example replacing tires or piston rings on motorbikes, the R1's Speed System and Bridle Lines must be checked after every 60 hours flying time, if they worn or are not to factory specifications (+ or - 1 cm) then they must be replaced or the kite will not perform as designed. Ozone R1 bridle specs.
The R1 is a closed cell foil and is water re-launchable, but we recommend that you keep it flying and out of the water if possible! A drainage system on the wing tip allows any water that may have entered the kite to drain out.
The R1 features a simple yet effective front line flag out release. After releasing the flag out you should check the speed system, bridle lines and your flying lines for twists before restart.
The R1 is not a wave kite and should not be used in waves.
Design and Performance Features:
- High cell count ? The high number of cells in the R1 reduces ballooning between the cells holding the wing shape and surfaces smoother and cleaner. This creates a reduction in turbulent airflow, giving the R1 more speed and increased depower.
- Optimized leading edge air intakes ? Precisely positioned intake valves along the LE lead to a stability increase and a more solid kite downwind. The inflation is also now easier and safer as the kite rapidly inflates.
- LE profile reinforcements ? The Leading Edge is reinforced with flexible lightweight plastic battens to maintain the shape of the profile during angle of attack changes and turbulent airflow.
- Internal diagonals and straps ? Internal span-wise straps work in unison with optimized diagonal ribs, distributing load into and across the sail evenly and effectively. Together the diagonals and straps lower sail tension and increase the structural balance that helps control this high aspect ratio kite.
- High performance bridle lines ? Using high performance thin Kevlar bridle line, the R1 flies faster, and so accelerates faster giving it higher performance, more range and more depower due to less drag.
- High performance materials ? High-tenacity sail cloth with extremely low porosity values and an overall lightweight enable us to further stabilise the canopy and maximise fast flight characteristics.
- Velcro + water out channels ? A 20mm internal channel is shaped into the end of the cells along the trailing edge to allow water run-out between the cells and out of the tips during flight. The Velcro dirt out channels can be opened for cleaning the kite. Always clean your kite by emptying any water, sand or dirt as this will prolong the life of the kite and help it fly as designed.
- Exceptional hand checked Ozone factory construction using the highest quality materials.
- High performance light weight canopy material.
- Leading Edge profile plastic batten reinforcements.
- Internal diagonals and strapping improve load distribution and durability.
- High performance low-drag bridle lines.
- Optimised Leading Edge air intake valves for fast inflation and no deflation.
- Unique internal wing-tip drainage system to remove water while flying.
- Double pulley speed-system, utilising the latest high spec low friction Ronstan Orbit pulleys.
- Color coded and numbered fool proof line connectors.
- Velcro openings on last tip cell for easy wash out of debris and water.
- Water proof deflation zipper on top centre cell for easy and fast deflation.
Large technical bag
All items from Kite Only package
Race bar with 25m race lines
At A Glance
After the huge success enjoyed by the Ozone Chrono both on and off the race circuit, the team stepped things up a gear with the new R1. Make no mistake this is an all-out high performance machine, aimed at the racer looking for the ultimate kite, or the freerider looking to go super fast and have an absolute weapon at the beach.
Ozone are no stranger to making foils; the Chrono arguably reshaped the racing scene a couple of years ago, but more than that they have been at the top of the paragliding game for decades. They have taken all their knowledge from the development of these styles of wings and put them into the R1.
The kite is very high aspect with a high cell count to offer unbridled performance. The higher number of cells reduces the ?ballooning effect? between each cell to give more control over the shape of the wing. This, in turn, means a lot more work at the factory, but when you first look at this kite, you can see the hours that have gone into it during the production process. There are internal span-wise straps that work together with diagonal ribs to distribute the loads evenly helping to keep the foil as rigid as possible.
Ozone R1 11m
The bridle uses high-performance lines that are reduced in diameter to ensure less drag through the air. Elsewhere the best materials have been used to ensure durability while offering an extremely light-weight package to increase the low wind performance.
Sizes: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19m
The Foil Race Control System is a race ready bar with all the features you would expect to control the kite, but also to be able to tune it while hiking out off the board or foil during a race. The chicken loop is the tried and tested Megatron Release System found on all Ozone kites. This works well and allows you to easily eject the kite, but also to reconnect it when you want to get going again. There are two release modes with a standard one front line flag out that releases all the power of the kite, but you can also set it up suicide if you desire.
Ozone R1 11m Wing Tip
You can untwist the lines by spinning the handle above the chicken loop, so if you have a bunch of kiteloops to pull during a race, it is easy to untwist the lines afterwards. Depower features a 2-1 pulley with a clam cleat, the rope is long enough so you can easily trim the kite even whilst right out on the edge of your board.
Thin flying lines offer 300kg breaking strain on the front and 200kg strain on the rear to reduce drag while still being able to handle powered conditions; there is also a brake handle so you can reverse launch and land the kite on the rear lines. The bar itself is the same as the new Ozone bar for 2016 with the integrated EVA foam bar ends. It is comfortable to ride with, and we are big fans!
Essentially if you want to race right out of the box with this bar you can, no need to head to the chandlers and tweak it to suit your needs, this set-up is good to go!
Ozone R1 11m Intake Vent
In The Air
As we mentioned at the beginning, this is not a kite for beginners or even intermediates; if you want a foil kite for low-end freeriding fun look to the Chrono, the R1 is aimed at experts only. It is, however, very easy to fly, but being so high aspect it can be a bit of a handful, and you really need to have good flying skills to get the most out of it.
A solid understanding of over-sheeting and back stalling is essential when the kite is at the bottom of the wind range as you really have to fly the kite to get the most out of it. At this point we would also say don?t let the bridles confuse you; with a bit of practice and time on the beach, they are easy to understand, and you should be able to get a solid grasp on which bit does what. Having an understanding of this is crucial if you want to enjoy this kite!
You can, in light winds, launch dead down wind, but this is a risk, especially with a weapon like this. Go for a cross wind launch and have a helper hold the middle of the kite up so it fills with air. You?ll find it over your head after the launch with both wing tips deflated, so give the rear lines a good tug to inflate the tips. Once the kite is up and ready to go, it is time to feel the power?
Lots of cells on the Ozone R1 11m
We rode the R1 in a variety of conditions, light wind cruising in 10 knots with a surfboard under our feet, and flat out racing at the Lighthouse to Leighton pushing 25 knots in the open sea on a race board. As we mentioned earlier, it is an incredibly easy kite to fly. The turning response time is very quick, and while it isn?t going to turn like a 9m C kite we were very impressed by the handling of the R1. It responds to the input of the bar very quickly and can also be quite nimble when you want it to be.
In light winds, you need to fly the kite to get the apparent wind going, you?ll then find the low-end is very impressive indeed. We were surprised to find ourselves often the only person on the water with the R1, and we didn?t exactly have a huge one with the 11m, we can only imagine the power of the 15, 17 and 19m versions! Upwind is, of course, amazing and a key reason you would be looking to buy this kite in the first place.
We were equally impressed by the top end wind range, being high aspect, the kite depowers well, and we were clinging on during 25 knot days while the water fizzed along around us. The kite was controlled and well behaved which made riding a race board at Mach 10 a lot easier than it should have been.
Ultra thin bridles on the Ozone R1 11m
The kite is water relaunchable, either reverse launch in light winds or tug on the front lines when there is enough breeze. It?s OK as long as it drops in the water perfectly, if it twists or bow-ties then it can be a nightmare to sort out, like any other foil kite. Essentially with this kite, don?t crash it, it will be much easier that way and if you do crash it then make sure you dry it out completely and get any sand out of it too.
The kite has a lot of hangtime, great if you are on a twin tip, but this is also important when tacking on a race board or foil. We found tacking quite easy with the amount of lift the kite generates as the kite goes above your head. I?ve never banged out so many perfect duck tacks in a row, which was handy as we had seen a shark during one test session!
Fast, high aspect racing machine that flies up and downwind with ease, lots of hangtime for freeriding too!
This kite does need to be looked after, Ozone recommend a bridle check every 60 hours and also keeping an eye for stretch and wear and tear. Essentially this is a high-performance piece of kit for racers? Relaunch can also be impossible if it goes wrong and twists, which is true of any foil kite.
If you race or want to have a high-performance kite in terms of speed and upwind ability around then the R1 should be on your shopping list. We have thoroughly enjoyed flying ours and will no doubt be looking forward to those light summer airs when they come around again in a few months!
Ozone R1 11m Head on
Ozone R1 11m the view you get
Ozone Foil Race Control System