Our understanding of True Performance is not just raw power or speed - it's the combination of every aspect of the kites characteristics, and most importantly how easy it is to access its full potential.
The R1 V3 is derived from the very successful R1 V2. The race winning performance of the V2 is very easy to tap into which has made it the benchmark kite in the racing scene.
We have pulled out all the stops with the design of the V3, taking it to the next level without compromising accessibility to its supercharged performance.
- The Leading Edge now benefits from Double Transversal Shaping creating a cleaner surface on the most important area of the aerofoil.
- Our newly developed Internal Low-Drag Line Attachments reduce parasitic drag to a minimum without compromising strength.
- Recalculated bridal line diameters reduce overall line drag by 14%.
- The rib cross-ports have been maximised to improve internal airflow resulting in better inflation.
- For the 15m-21m sizes the rib material specification has been updated to the lightest available on the market.
The result of these performance-enhancing features is a kite that creates less drag, which gives the hard-core racer:
- Better angles up and down wind
- Higher top end and lower bottom end range
- Lighter kite feeling, more responsive handling
- Increased stability in light wind conditions
- Quicker inflation
- Smaller packing sizes for easy traveling
To be hyper competitive in light winds we have added an 18m and 21m to the range.
Design and Performance Features:
- High performance ultra light materials - The R1 V3 materials have been used extensively on the R1 V2, Ultra Light Kites and Paragliders for the past five years. Using Ultra Light materials translates to true performance increases - the kite inflates quicker, flies faster and is more reactive even in the lightest breeze.
- Optimized leading edge air intakes - Precisely positioned intake valves along the Leading Edge lead to a stability increase at all angles of attack. The inflation is easy and safe as the kite rapidly inflates.
- Double Transversal Shaping - Double Transversal Shaping produces a cleaner surface on the most important area of the aerofoil, resulting in less turbulent airflow and longer skin adhesion, which positively effects the lift to drag ratio increasing overall performance.
- Internal Low-Drag Line Attachments - Internal span-wise straps work in unison with optimized diagonal ribs, distributing load from the bridles evenly and effectively. This increases the internal structural balance that helps control the high aspect ratio, while allowing the top and bottom surfaces to maintain the designed profile without being distorted from indirect tension or loads.
- Internal diagonals and straps - Internal span-wise straps work in unison with optimized diagonal ribs, distributing load from the bridles evenly and effectively. This increases the internal structural balance that helps control the high aspect ratio, while allowing the top and bottom surfaces to maintain the designed profile without being distorted from indirect tension or loads.
- High Performance Bridle Lines - High performance Kevlar bridle lines are a key component to the R1's outstanding performance. Kevlar has unbeaten stretch and shrinkage characteristics keeping your kite at the highest performance trim.
- LE Profile Reinforcements - The Leading Edge is reinforced with flexible lightweight plastic battens to maintain the shape of the profile during angle of attack changes and turbulent airflow. This drastically improves overall performance as the foil remains true to the designed shape.
- Designed with OZ-CAD - The FUTURE is NOW - All Ozone kites are designed and developed using our own highly advanced custom built CAD software. Our designers are able to work with parameters specifically formulated to calculate unique aspects required in technical Inflatable and Foil kites. Part of our design team is dedicated to the upgrade of the CAD code and addition of new modules and features to the program as the development of our kites continues.
- Exceptional Ozone Factory construction - World-class construction in our own factory, using the highest quality materials and hand checked Quality Control at every step. The Ozone factory also manufactures our Paragliding and Speed Wing range; the same Quality Control processes are used across all products.
- High cell count - A high number of cells controls ballooning between the ribs, holding the wing shape and designed surfaces smoother and more accurately. This reduces turbulent airflow, providing more efficiency, speed and de-power for increased overall performance.
- LE profile reinforcements - The Leading Edge is reinforced with flexible lightweight plastic battens to maintain the shape of the profile during angle of attack changes and turbulent airflow. This drastically improves overall performance as the foil remains true to the designed shape.
- Pro-Tune Speed System - The Pro-Tune Speed System offers minute adjustment to keep the kite performing at its best in the correct trim. Durable line materials reduce wear and tear on the pulley lines, with increased resistance to stretch or shrinkage for a longer life span. The Speed System is a Double-Pulley layout using high spec low friction Ronstan Orbit pulleys. NOTE: You must watch the How To video before adjusting your Speed System settings.
- Water Drainage Channels - An internal channel is shaped into the end of each cell along the trailing edge. This allows loose sand or water to run between the cells and out of the tips during flight. The Velcro sealed cells at the tips can be opened for cleaning the kite. Always clean your kite by emptying any water, sand or dirt as this will prolong the life of the kite and help it fly as designed.
- Waterproof deflation zipper - Intelligently positioned for easy deflation and pack down.
- Fool proof line connectors - Fool proof numbered line connectors prevent incorrect rigging of the flying lines to the kite.
- Comparable feeling throughout the size range - We work extensively during our R&D process on each and every kite to develop a range of sizes that feel in tune with each other.
- Two storage bag options - We have designed two all new storage bags - the Backpack and Closed Cell Kompressor bag. Choose the Backpack for a quick and easy pack down. Choose the Closed Cell Kompressor bag for a secure packing process to maintain the plastic batten profile shape. The Kompressor bag is also lighter with internal compression straps keeping packing size and weight to a minimum. Watch the video on our website for more information explaining the differences and how to use each bag.
- The R1 V3 is for advanced riders only who have previous foil kite experience. It is not difficult to fly but there are techniques required to fly a high aspect ratio foil kite.
- The R1 V3 materials have been used extensively on the R1 V2, Ultra Light Kites and Paragliders for the past five years. The kite must be carefully looked after, it needs an experienced rider who knows how to keep the kite up in the air and how to handle it gently on the ground.
- The kite is water re-launchable, but we recommend that you keep it flying and out of the water if possible! A drainage system on the wing tip allows any water that may have entered the kite to drain out. Do not use the kite in waves.
- Always use a Brake Handle when flying a foil kite. This is the handle/line spanned between the back leader lines on the control system. This easy to grab handle makes inflation, self-landing and reverse launch easier.
- This kite features a simple yet effective front line flag out release. After releasing the flag out you should check the speed system, bridle lines and your flying lines for twists before restart.
- The Speed System and Bridle lines will require maintenance just like any high performance equipment in racing sports - they must be checked after every 60 hours flying time, and maintained in the correct trim or the kite will not perform as designed. Bridle Lines that are worn or not to factory specification (+ or - 15mm) must be replaced. Speed System lines that are worn must be replaced. If the Speed System lines are not worn, but are not to factory specifications (+ or - 15mm) you must adjust back to factory spec. You must watch the How To video before adjusting or replacing Speed System lines. How To videos and a Bridle Check PDF with all measurements can be found at www.ozonekites.com.